Some of my go-to recipes and cheap tricks.
- Cheap chicken drumsticks – rub turmeric, cayenne pepper and maybe some curry powder under the skin. Drop drumsticks in the slow cooker on high for 2-3 hours and then low for 2 hours. Serve with steamed or sauteed broccoli, onions, tomatoes or whatever vegetable you have around.
- Paleo Meatloaf – I use a minced yellow pepper in place of breadcrumbs, 1 egg, pepper, salt, ketchup in the meatloaf and on it with bacon. It’s not perfect, but it works. You can make your own sugar-free ketchup (bless your soul) or get the expensive Paleo Chef ketchup at Whole Foods while you’re picking up sugar-free bacon or order from U.S. Wellness Meats online. Bake in the oven at 375 for about 40 minutes then crank it up to 400 to brown the bacon for 10 minutes or so. You can also do meatloaf in the crock pot without changing the ingredients. I haven’t tried it yet.
- Shredded Chicken – put skinless thighs and/or breasts in the slow cooker with salt, pepper, diced onion and whatever spices you want. I like to use cayenne pepper, maybe a can of green chilis.
- Ground turkey and ground beef portioned and frozen – sauté with onion in a pan. Freeze and have on hand. Makes great addition to zucchini spaghetti, rice bowls, etc.
- Vegan Pesto – 1 bag arugula or basil or a mix of any greens, 2 handfuls of walnuts, 1-3 cloves of raw garlic, copious amounts of olive oil. Mix in Ninja. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Cauliflower rice – you can buy this frozen, or drop a head or two in the Ninja on Sundays and sauté portions throughout the week. All I do is drop some ghee and diced onion in the pan on medium and in 10 minutes I have rice. Make bowls with cauli rice, any protein, any veggies and a quick dressing in the blender. 1 c spinach, juice of 2-3 limes and 1/2 avocado. It has a kick! Water down a bit if necessary.
- Broccoli – keep a bag in the fridge and drop a handful into a bowl and microwave for 2-3 minutes (no water needed.) Drench in olive oil and red pepper flakes.
- Zucchini or yellow squash spaghetti – spiralize and put in microwave about 2 minutes. Press out and drain the water. Add cherry tomatoes, vegan pesto, Trader Joe’s Organic Marinara (no added sugar) or leftover ground beef
- Sweet Baked Carrots – chop (peel if you’re picky) and coat with cinnamon and a few drizzles of ghee. Bake in oven at 350 for an hour.
- Kale chips – bunch of lacinato kale rinsed and dried. Put on baking sheet and drizzle in olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes or so.